ABOUT OUR CLUB
When the club began in 1933, the town of Caloundra was a little fishing and holiday village with between 700 – 1000 residents. There was no electricity. Water came from rainwater tanks and the backyard thunderbox was the family toilet. Roads in Caloundra in the 1930s were still dirt with no kerb and channelling and only a few motor vehicles. In the early 30s, locals and holiday makers swam in the surf and still water but without any officiallifesaving club.
Originally named Metropolitan Life Saving Club, it was founded in Brisbane as a unit of the Royal Life Saving Society in 1924. The first President was Mr Walter Soden and the first Secretary, Mr Ivan Gillespie.
The Club patrolled at Ocean Beach, Bribie Island until 1933. In 1930, the Club also became affiliated with the Surf Life Saving Association.
At Christmas, 1932, the Landsborough Shire Council asked the Club if it would send some of its members to patrol Kings Beach during the holiday period. A number of members volunteered. Tents were erected on a site at the northern end of Kings Beach in front of what was then Fristrom’s shop and Boarding House, where the boys had their meals.
Those who took part in that venture enjoyed their experience so much that the Club decided to move as a body from Bribie to Caloundra. Some members of the Club, with interests at Bribie, elected to remain and form a new Club, the Bribie Island Surf Life Saving Club.
In recognition of the move, the Metropolitan Club decided to change its name to Metropolitan-Caloundra Life Saving Club. The word “surf” was inserted at a later date.
The Club’s second hut situated at the rear of the surfing area at King’s Beach was completed in December 1933 and officially opened by Councillor Bray on the 28th January 1934. Subsequent cyclones forced its removal on two occasions and ultimately the Club moved to its present Clubhouse, close to the original spot where the pioneer members had their tent accommodation in 1932.
Through the assistance of the State Government and the Landsborough Shire Council, a brick Clubhouse costing approx. $16,000 was erected in the year 1958 near Margery Path, Kings Beach. This was officially opened on the 1st November, 1958 by the President of the North Coast Branch – The Premier, Hon F R Nicklin also Patron of the Club.
Mets on Kings - The Caloundra Surf Club sits invitingly by the salt water pool at the northern end of Kings Beach and provides a beautiful modern restaurant, bar and gaming facilities and a spectacular view out over the Brisbane Shipping Lane.
Recently beautifully renovated and with a contemporary, value packed menu we provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, to relax and enjoy great food, beverages, entertainment and company.
You can get your dancing shoes on every Friday and Saturday night with live music from 7pm or test your general knowledge skills on Trivia Tuesday - with free entry and great prizes to be won starting at 6:30pm. We offer activity packs with all kid’s meals and great value specials on our blackboard where our chef likes to delight with her handpicked favourites.